In this devastating and chaotic time, our faith holds us, comforts us, and calls us forward. I am proud of the many ways that, in the face of mounting threats, Unitarian Universalists have responded with faithful action. From supporting community partners, to sharing resources, to showing up for love and justice, we are leaning into the moral challenges that each day brings—while remaining focused on a larger vision of justice and collective liberation.
And now, dear ones, we are at a precipice. Leading up to the election, our vote—and our efforts to get out the vote—will affect our chances to bring our bold values forward, to take seriously the health and well-being of all people as the pandemic continues, to protect human rights, upend inequity and racial injustice, and make real gains for the health of our planet. The stakes are high and we all have a role to play.
In this pivotal moment, I’m writing to ask you to support the critical organizing work of UU the Vote. You can join us and give in two ways:
- Make an individual gift to UU the Vote to help us bring this campaign home. Donate here or text VOTELOVE to 91999.
- Offer the UU the Vote national worship service for your congregation or community. Make a donation to UU the Vote as you would to a guest service leader. You can use the entire service or individual elements. I had the privilege to join a lineup of many prophetic Unitarian Universalist voices exploring the intersections of faith, justice, and democracy in this virtual service. The offering goes to benefit UU the Vote.
Last night, hundreds joined the online event, “Gather the Spirit,” to hear about the incredible work Unitarian Universalists across the country are doing to mobilize voters, combat widespread voter suppression, and connect to one another and our deepest values as we do this work. When we launched UU the Vote, we set a goal of reaching one million voter contacts before election day. During yesterday’s gathering, we were pleased to share we have already contacted over 1.3 million voters! That is incredible! And we are not stopping. We need your support in this last push to reach over 2 million voters.
Join us as we move together toward election day. There are many ways you can connect with UU the Vote or deepen your connection:
- Get UU the Vote updates on your phone by texting VOTELOVE to 51555.
- Sign the #VoteLove Pledge and let us know how you’re going to do your part to protect our democracy.
- Sign up to phonebank with UU the Vote. There are many remaining opportunities to join a national phonebank, or participate in local or regional events.
- Share the national UU the Vote service in your community on an upcoming Sunday.
I hope you will join in the groundswell of Unitarian Universalists working to #VoteLove and #DefeatHate. There is so much to do, and our faith is calling us to love more boldly, to give more generously, to believe more fervently that another world is possible—and to lead and act on behalf of that future.
Yours in love and in hope,
About the Author
The Rev. Dr. Susan Frederick-Gray began her six-year term as president of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) in June 2017. As president of the Association, she is responsible for administering staff and programs that serve its more than 1,000 member congregations. She also acts as…
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.